Monday, July 25, 2011

2 MONTHS IN

  I am two months in. In where, you ask? Two months living in our state capital. It's a foreign land to me.There aren't any trees here. No rolling hills or cliffs of large rock carved by ancient glaciers. No ravines or waterfalls here, either. There aren't any lakeside breezes or lake effect snow.
  What is it is BLAZIN' HOT. Concrete hot enough to burn your feet and cook some lunch. The first month was a big tease. The land was lush, vibrant green and it rained gently and consistently. The city was comfortable and enjoyable and people were pleasant.
  The second month was the true grit of city living. It's been in the 103-108 heat index. No breeze and rarely an easy breath has been taken. The grass is now dormant and crunchy and without color. The closest resemblance would be a faint old bail-o-hay yellow. People are GROUCHY. The people who were out and about socializing are now hiding inside the comfortable air conditioned house and apartment. As I said, there are no trees here. There is no refuge.
  I have discovered what it like to be a prisoner in your own home. I make an attempt to take my son to the pool a few times a week. As of late, we can tolerate 2 hours at best and then we pack it in and head home. What I would give to be able to sit under the canopy of lusciously full, mature maple tree in the summer. Makes you wanna get lost in a book. The sound of air moving through the branches and flirtatiously brushing against each individual leaf like a man in a bar full of women. Subtle, yet purposeful. Just hoping to move the encounter to the next level.
  Yes, you may have guested that I am not your typical 30-something that is married and raising a child in the city. What I am is a girl (at heart) who grew up in Northeast Ohio in the farm community of Portage County. I ate a lot of vegetables and worked our garden as well as our neighbors farm. I don't like shoes. I don't like shopping.
  What I love is the experience of nature and the outdoors. What I equally love is the artist's  expression of the human spirit through art. This is why I am here. My husband and I are artists. We are attempting to launch our new business of only 10 months. Multimedia companies grow slowly...so I am learning, but they are well worth the effort and the satisfaction is much greater than any cubical or regular paying gig can offer.
  Our house is a bustle of writers; my 10 year old son included. We publish books, we write screenplays and novels and poetry. We produce independent films, shorts and commercial. Our goal is to help each artist...create the opportunity for themselves to live and shine and share their art. Not a bad goal in life, now is it....
  What you will find here will be postings of my flaws and well as my triumphs. This is where I allow myself to be grammatically INCORRECT. I'm allow to speak without being perfect. It will be a blog about people and places and things that assist in the growth of my human spirit. This is where you will see me learn from every person I encounter as well as from the great God of the Universe that I am diligently seeking to understand and listening to.
  From farm girl to city broad with an attitude. From dirt poor to exquisitely rich in life experience. This is about imperfect me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment